Labour are today announcing that a Labour government will mount a major programme to improve the health and wellbeing of every child in the country. Our ambition is to make the next generation the healthiest the world has ever seen.
• Introduce a new Index of Child Health to measure progress against international standards and report annually against four key indicators: obesity, dental health, under 5s, and mental health.
• Legally require all Government departments to have a child health strategy to set out how they will support the UK's ambition to have the healthiest children in the world.
• Support school nurses and health visitors to make sure that all children have access to the healthcare they are entitled to.
• Set up a £250m annual child health fund to support the strategy, by clamping down on management consultancy costs in the NHS.
• Ensure extra funding for Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services and support for counselling in every school.
• Ring-fence the public health budget over the course of the Parliament to allow councils to invest in leisure activities and health awareness campaigns.
Today, Labour is outlining the first stage of its plan focusing specifically on obesity which is costing the NHS £6bn a year
Labour pledge to ban adverts promoting unhealthy food from being broadcast during primetime television, such as the X Factor, Hollyoaks and Britain's Got Talent. A ban on pre-watershed junk food advertising would reduce children's viewing of junk food adverts by 82 per cent.
A Labour Government would:
• Halve childhood obesity within ten years and make Britain "the healthiest country in the world to grow up in".
• Introduce legislation banning junk food advertising from being broadcast before 9pm.
• Publish a new childhood obesity strategy within the first 100 days outlining a roadmap to halving childhood obesity rates within ten years.
Labour will put children at the heart our health strategy and put measures in place to make Britain's children the healthiest in the world.
Labour's personal tax guarantee
This weekend Labour set out a commitment to protect middle and low earners' incomes by announcing a "personal tax guarantee", which pledges that a Labour Government will guarantee to rule out rises in the following taxes in the next parliament:
• VAT (Standard rate).
• Income Tax on those earning below £80,000 a year.
• Personal National Insurance Contributions.
Under Labour's plans, 95 per cent of taxpayers will be guaranteed no increase in their income tax contributions and everyone will be protected from any increase in personal National Insurance Contributions and VAT.
Only the highest earners, the top five per cent of taxpayers, will be asked to contribute more in tax to help fund our public services that have suffered at the hands of seven years of Tory austerity.
Only the Labour Party is promising to stand up for working people, the majority in our country, while the Tories have made clear they are determined to carry on handing out tax giveaways to a wealthy few.
Don't trust the Tories: they are the party of the few, not the many.
To share social media content from the election campaign, please follow and share from @UKLabour
For more information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org