LABOUR SLAMS 27 PER CENT TORY RAIL FARE HIKE AND CALLS FOR PUBLICLY
Hard working commuters are now paying 27 per cent more for their train fares under the
Tories, because of yet another year of rail fare hikes that come into force today.
Passengers have been hit again and again by eye-watering rail fare rises.
Fares have now rocketed by 27 per cent since the Tories came to power, this is a hike much
greater than the average increase in people’s wages.
For many people here, travelling by train isn’t a luxury, it’s how they get to work every day.
A season tickets costs more every year.
Labour’s policy is to bring the railways into public ownership so they can be run for
passengers not profit. That means fairer fares, investment in a 21st century railway and
listening to passengers.
Electrification locally has been delayed by years and little investment has been seen here.
OUR KEY MESSAGE
Rail fares are rising
• Since the Tories came to power rail fares have rocketed by 27 per cent
• That is a rise three times faster than wages
• The cost of some season tickets will have risen by over 40 per cent
Under investment is leading to chaos and cost to commuters
• Commuters were always told that higher fares would fund investment, but vital projects have been
delayed for years
• Passengers are paying even more to travel on increasingly overcrowded and unreliable trains
• The Tories are failing working people and have no answers to the big challenges facing Britain
Labour has an alternative plan for railways. Labour will:
• Bring railways into public ownership
• Put passengers first and keep fares down
• Invest in our railways